Friday, October 22, 2010

Prop B

I have had the urge to share with you something that is close to my heart.  I get emails daily about this, and I have given all I can give.  So, I wanted to make others aware, and if it touches your heart maybe you'll want to contribute as well.  I'm talking about puppy mills.  This is something that means a lot to me, because when I hear about them or see pictures I can't help but see my Pixie there.  She was rescued from a puppy mill situation, and taken to the humane society (that's where I got her).  I love her dearly, and she is the best dog I could ever ask for.  However, she only likes about 3 other people, she's terrified of big men, she's extremely protective with food and bones, and I'm not exactly sure how she is with children.  When someone wants to pet her, she runs, and it makes me feel like everyone thinks I did a terrible job raising her.  I do know the truth though, and I know that I didn't get her until she was about 6 months old and so I can't undo the damage she had in the first part of her life. I can continue to introduce her to new situations and hope that she comes out of this fear.  She has come such a long way!

 
Anyway-  Missouri is the largest state for puppy mills, and they are trying to pass a law.  Read below the facts.  How can we help outside of Missouri?  Well, they are using their donations to make TV commercials to show during shows such as Oprah, DWTS, and other big name shows to help spread the word. If you can't give, I understand, but I just wanted to share this information.  I had no idea about puppy mills and the cruelty that goes on in most/some of them until Pixie. 

This is their latest email newsletter.

The Kansas City Star and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch have endorsed a YES! on Prop B. We all agree: Dogs like Legs deserve a better life.


This is Legs, pictured below, just before she and 91 other Yorkshire Terriers were rescued from a substandard puppy mill in southwest Missouri in February 2009 by the Humane Society of Missouri.


She was missing teeth, and had endured severe dental disease, skin infections, and bone and joint disease -- too much suffering for a Yorkie at only eight years of age. And unbelievably, some of the dogs that were rescued with Legs even had to have limbs amputated because the blood supply to their legs was cut off by their terribly matted hair.

Unfortunately, there are dogs similar to Legs suffering in puppy mills in Missouri at this very second. But if a new law gets passed by Missouri voters on Election Day -- called Proposition B -- these dogs won’t have to suffer any more.


Prop B is a measure that will appear on the Missouri state ballot in just 11 days. If passed, it will stop puppy mill abuses by establishing common sense standards for the care of dogs, such as clean food and water, adequate space and exercise, necessary veterinary care, and rest between breeding cycles.


But this law won’t magically get passed on its own. Puppy millers and agribusiness groups have mounted a fierce campaign to defeat it, and we are running short of the money we need to air critical television ads and deliver our message to voters in all 114 counties in the state.


Will you make an emergency contribution today to communicate our message to Missouri voters to pass Prop B and help save thousands of dogs from the suffering endured by Legs?


Today, thanks to a long-time foster parent, Legs has been rehabilitated and adopted by a loving family. She never again has to worry about a life devoid of love and care. Will you help us ensure that other dogs get this same chance at a better life?


At puppy mills in Missouri, dogs are crammed into small and filthy cages, denied veterinary care, exposed to extremes of heat and cold, and given no exercise or human affection. These puppy mills are cruel and the way these dogs are treated is wrong. Prop B will finally turn around Missouri's reputation as the puppy mill capital of America, and make a difference for hundreds of thousands of dogs in the nation's top puppy mill state.


We have just 11 days left to reach Missouri voters through our TV ads, get out the vote efforts, leafleting, and other efforts -- please donate today to help all the suffering dogs like Legs.


Sincerely,


Barbara Schmitz
Campaign Manager
Missourians for the Protection of Dogs / YES! on Prop B

No comments: