Friday, July 15, 2011

Changing My Perception

The four of us (Stephen, Martha, Pixie, and I) have a new friend. He could almost be called a pet, but to be a pet that would mean that I would have to feed him or change his water or let him out...you get the point. This is the best kind of pet, a friend. At first, I was scared to death, and I'm still a little skittish of him and his kind. I don't want to touch him, or have him touch me, but I do get worried about him, so that must mean my feelings are changing for this little guy. This is Dennis. Dennis Hopper.


 After having this little friend show up on Stephen's back steps nightly for a few days we decided we needed to name him. Make him an official part of the family. We went back and forth and back and forth. We came up with some good ones...and some not so good ones, Stephen. My last and final vote was for "Sir Wart of Hoppingham". You must say this with an accent; any kind will do. Stephen liked Dennis Hopper. Telling our age difference, I didn't even know who that was. Somehow it stuck.

We enjoy going out every evening to see if Dennis is out there. Sure enough, every single night for the last month or so there he is. The girls don't bother him, and we speak in passing. Don't want to get too attached; I'm sure once summer has ended he'll go back to wherever he came from, but until then we'll enjoy our nightly summer buddy.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Do you remember when we had that FAT frog that stayed in Sandi's water pan? You didn't want to have anything to do with it. It would startle me when I went to change the water and it would jump out. I am surprised that Sandi let it stay.