Thursday, June 24, 2010

Craft Time

Today I am going to share a little project of mine last night. I have been trying to decorate my house, and let me be the first to say that I have no idea what I’m doing! I’m just having fun and trying things as I go. I have discovered that I have a common theme throughout my living room. It’s brown, black, and gold. I have one very pretty black and gold candle stick that I am using for inspiration. The day I purchased that black and gold candle stick, I also purchased a solid black one. I like the two as a set, the black one just needed something. So I thought, “Self, how can we make the two match?” Now, I was in Hobby Lobby, personally one of my new favorite stores…I guess that’s what happens when you start to get old! So I had endless possibilities of altering the candle stick. I went for the less dramatic approach and got a gold paint pen. That night I was so very nervous to put any paint on there, so you could barely tell what I had done. Either way, I was proud and set the two on my mantle.

Fast forward a month or so later, and I’m back in Hobby Lobby. I found a frame that was the color and size I was looking for to put on the opposite side of the candle sticks. However, there was no gold on it. So, I bought it (at 50% off, 4X6 frame cost $5.00) and brought it home with the intentions of doctoring it up a little.
After working on the candle stick, I was feeling very brave. This time I figured out that you can’t be shy with the paint stick. The technique that I have picked up on is put the paint stick wherever you want gold paint, and then take a paper towel and gently rub over where you put the paint. Worked like a charm.


Before. Supplies.


After

God bless.

2 comments:

Amber and John said...

Kirby- It looks great!!! You did a great job on your home and it's beautiful!!

Kirby said...

Thank you so much, Amber! I'm trying! I love your house, too!