Monday, June 28, 2010

Happy "Tails"


Usually our Sundays are spent being lazy, watching movies, resting up for the week ahead; however, this was not the case yesterday. Yesterday, Stephen (my bf) and I decided to join my parents and go to our farm house. We were going to practice our shooting skills and just have fun in the “country” for the day. We decided to take Stephen’s dog, Martha, with us. She’s half American Bulldog and half Mountain Cur. I know she’s not very rugged or anything, but her breed is supposed to be so we thought she would enjoy herself. This was not the case. We started playing around, and when I say we I mean my dad and Stephen. I never even got to shoot. They shot the guns probably 4 or 5 times and about that time, my mom came running to us because last thing she saw was Martha running in a greyhound like fashion across the front yard. We went after her but really didn’t think too much of it, because she always comes to us, and she has never run away before. The gunshots scared her so she ran and who knows where she ran to. It was the scariest feeling. I felt as if I had lost one of my children. We walked up and down the roads, asking the neighbors, calling for her endlessly, but there was no sign of Martha. This went on for probably four or five hours. I’m not exactly sure, but it felt like an eternity. Stephen’s family ended up bringing their family dog Bella, who knows Martha very well, to join in on the search. It was the neatest thing, they took a towel Martha had been lying on and held it for her to smell and said, “Go find Martha!” She took off and 3 minutes later, Martha was barking and jumping and trying to get to us. Now, I’m not sure if it was just coincidence or having Bella there brought Martha to us, either way I am thankful to have her back.

My reasoning for telling this “tail” is one peace of mind I did have. Martha wears an ID tag on her collar with Stephen’s information. If she hadn’t have come back, I would have had hope that someone would have found her and gotten her back to us safely. I don’t keep an ID tag on Pixie because I don’t make her wear her collar all the time, but now I think I will start. It didn’t come down to the tag, but it could have. Just goes to show that no matter how well behaved or predictable your dog is anything unusual can scare them so that they run in fear. You never know when something like this could happen to you. I hope it never does, but you may want to be prepared.
All's well that ends well!
God bless!

No comments: