Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Good Effort


Found something out about myself lately. I don't have an eye for flowers, nor am I meant to be a florist. I went to my third flower class last night, and I did not have a good experience! First of all, I figured out that most of the people in that class (other than the ones who actually own a flower shop and are professional florists) wait for the teacher to come to their station and make the arrangement for them. Well, I didn’t want to do that! So, I started along with my flowers. Once the teacher made her way to me, I got a “well you might as well go on with it”. Apparently there was no helping me. I told her I liked them and went on with it. Once I was done (like 10 minutes later…I don’t see why it takes some people 2 hours to make an arrangement! I don’t have that kind of time or patience!) I sat back and thought it was pretty. I mean keep in mind that I'm not trying to sell this to anyone. Anyway, at the end of the class the teacher then proceeded to go around the class holding everyone’s arrangements up to show and go on and on how perfect and pretty they are. She got to me last… I asked her not to, but she insisted. She held mine up and gave me “a good effort”. Then she told the class how it should have been done. Needless to say, I was fighting back tears this whole time! They came later of course. This taught me a very valuable lesson. It showed me how it feels to not "get" something, so I need to be more patient and understanding with other people. It also reinforced the importance of constructive criticism. I ended up giving my flowers to my mama because she was not feeling well, and she loved them! Her and my dad both told me how pretty they are! That was all I needed to hear. I don’t think I’ll be going back next week.  I don't want to be a quitter, but life is too short to continue something if it's not enjoyable. I'll just stick to my fresh cut flowers stuck in a vase!

No comments: