Thursday, April 28, 2011

I am thankful. I am lucky. I count my blessings. I wish I did this or said this more often. Most of the time, there is a complaint coming out about .  Yesterday, Alabama went through some terrible, terrible storms. Today, I am thankful that I am able to write this post.

As a child, I wanted to be a meteorologist. I thought that would be the coolest job on the planet. I remember learning where all the states were because I knew that they weren't really behind them on the weather channel. I knew that if I wanted to be a real weather girl, I wouldn't be able to look at them because of the blue/green screen effect. I knew that I would have to call on states by name without asking. So I learned them. I would stand in front of our double French doors and point to places all while looking ahead and talking to the world no one.

After I got off from my day job, I would then assume the position as a tornado chaser. I just thought that would be so fun. Was I crazy?? No, I just had a different perspective on life. I had nothing to lose at the age of ten.

When the storms came through last night, I was terrified and brought to tears. Today I have things to lose: great relationships with people that I would miss terribly if I lost them and a little white pup who depends on me for her safety. A house with many long hours put in it personally, plants that I just planted last weekend, blue birds in my blue bird house and blueberries growing on my bushes. Again, all of those things are silly, because they are all replaceable (minus the people and Pixie). However, I am extremely thankful that they all were standing this morning.

It's interesting to me to think about the way I thought back then and the way I think now. Glued to the TV last night, I remembered my days of wanting to be the next great meteorologist/storm chaser. I couldn't believe I ever thought that way.

Please remember all those lost in the terrible storms yesterday. Pray that all people are accounted for. Pray those that have lost can get back on their feet. Pray for their strength.

No comments: